Join Disability Support Services for a fun and informative day of workshops, social events and interesting discussions. We want you to make the most out of your time here at CUA so let DSS help you get started on the right foot!
Who can attend? Smart Start is open to any incoming first year or transfer student who has a documented disability. Families of new students are welcome to attend along with the student.
What to expect? Smart Start is two-day orientation program designed to aid students in making a smooth transition to CUA. We discuss important academic and personal skills that will help you succeed in college. Our workshop will explore topics such as:
Effectively transitioning from high school to college
Self-advocacy and communicating with faculty and family
Understanding academic accommodations at the university level
Learning accademic and organizational skils that are essential for the successful colege student
Academic resources and support services
Other accomodations such as foreign language substitutions
Assistive technology and E-Text
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- 9:00 am-4:00 pm- Early move into the residence halls. Student appointments with DSS to discuss and receive Letter of Accommodation.
- 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm- Meet and greet DSS staff and Student Ambassadors. Refreshments will be served.
- 6:00 pm-8:00 pm- Student appointments with DSS staff to discuss and receive Letter of Accommodation.
Wed. August 23, 2017
- 8:00am-5:00pm- Orientation continues. Workshops and breakout sessions. Breakfast and lunch provided
- 5:30pm-8:00pm- Student appointments with DSS to discuss and receive Fall 2016 Letter of Accommodation.
Why attend? Making the transition from high school to college involves many new challenges and success can often depends on a student’s ability to advocate for themselves. At Smart Start you will learn how to advocate for your own unique needs, gain knowledge about campus resources and become familiar with policies and procedures related to accessing accommodations. It is an opportunity to meet fellow freshmen and talk.
Application Information: Space is limited. Applications and documentation will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Acceptance into the program will be completed on a rolling basis once file is complete. The application is available for download at: dss.cua.edu/res/docs/Smart-Start-Application-2017.pdf
Completed Applications should be emailed to: CUA-DSS@CUA.edu, faxed to 202-319-5126, or mailed to:
CUA Disability Support Services
620 Michigan Ave, NE
127 Pryzbyla Center
Washington, DC 20064
If you have questions, please call the office at (202) 319-5211 or email us at CUA-DSS@CUA.edu.