While talking with instructors, you should:
· State that you have a disability, and explain your affiliation with DSS
· If appropriate, make them aware of your past successes, and suggest how they could enhance your future success
· Discuss classroom accommodations, teaching techniques, and testing procedures that have been most helpful in the past.
· Make it clear that you are a serious, motivated student who will succeed in their class if a reasonable allowance is made for a specific problem you have in a specific area
· If possible, engage instructors in a problem solving process when solutions to the problem are not obvious
· Be on time for scheduled appointments
· Be calm and courteous, and do not interrupt
· Refer them to the DSS Faculty webpage.
While talking with instructors, you should not:
§ Quote Section 504 or IDEA, or dictate policy
§ Get mad
§ Cry on their shoulder
§ Request unreasonable adjustments, or make demands for large amounts of their time