REQUESTING AN INTERPRETER
All requests for Interpreters must be made through Disability Support Services.
We strongly encourage requests for Interpreters to be made as early as possible. When planning an event, it is recommended that whoever is coordinating the event be in contact with DSS early to discuss making arrangements in the event an Interpreter is needed.
The following information must be provided at the time of the request:
• Date of event
• Time of event ( Start and End)
• Location of event
• Name of event
• Contact person with name, email and day of phone number
• Name of person needing the Interpreter
• Is it one session or breakout sessions?
• For all day events, is there a lunch? Will the Interpreter be needed for lunch?
Events over 60 minutes in length will require 2 Interpreters. Full day events will require 3-4 Interpreters.
Interpreters must be provided with:
• All materials and/or Power Points in advance
• 2 chairs and a music stand
• A CUA parking pass for the day
• A meal, if one is provided to attendees
Because we use freelance Interpreters as much as possible and agencies only when we have to, there is not a set hourly rate. We do everything we can to get you the least expensive rate possible. Currently, the hourly rates range from $50.00- $120.00
Cancellations must be made as far in advance as possible and no less than 24-72 hours in advance ( agencies require more notice). Cancellations made after that time period will be charged the full rate. We do understand that sometimes cancellations are unavoidable. However, we have to work within the terms of the agreement we have with the Interpreters. If the event is on a weekend, the contact person for the event will need to contact the Interpreters directly and notify DSS of the cancelation.
For more information and to schedule Interpreters, please email us at: CUA-DSS@cua.edu