The Catholic University of America



Temporary Disabilities 

The Office of Disability Support Services recognizes that individuals with temporarily disabling conditions that are a result of injuries, surgery, or short-term medical conditions may need access to services and resources similar to individuals with permanent disabilities. Examples of temporary disabilities may include, but are not limited to: broken limbs, hand injuries, or short term impairments following surgery or medical treatments.

When to contact the Dean of Students

If you are experiencing an on-going and/or serious medical issue (i.e. hospitalization, long term illness, etc.), contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 202-319-5619. Staff members in the Office of the Dean of Students can assist you with developing a plan for managing the impact of the medical issue on your campus life. You should also personally notify your professors if you have missed and/or expect to miss any classes; your professors are in the best position to discuss how absences from class will affect your class performance.
The Office of the Dean of Students serves as a contact resource by providing instructors with notification of class absences in critical and emergency situations, such as hospitalization, serious illness, and serious injury of the student or death of an immediate family member. The class absence notifications from the Office of the Dean of Students are strictly informational and advisory, and are not intended to verify or provide proof of the legitimacy of the absence.

Getting around campus with a temporary mobility impairment

Students who are utilizing mobility aids such as electric scooters, wheelchairs, canes or crutches are advised to research the most accessible route to get to and from class. Wheelchairs, scooters and other mobility devices are considered personal devices and are not provided for loan by DSS. See Equipment Loan and Rental.
DSS does not provide personal assistance to students with temporary disabilities such as building-to-building transportation or the transport of books or other personal items.

Information on parking and transportation



Students requiring the use of accessible parking spaces must have a state-issued parking placard. Students who are interested in obtaining a disabled parking permit must apply for one through their home state DMV. 
Vehicles displaying valid state or District of Columbia issued handicapped licensed tags and/or window placards identifying the driver or passenger as handicapped will be authorized to park in designated handicapped spaces.
A valid CUA-issued parking permit must be displayed in conjunction with the state or District of Columbia issued handicapped licensed tags or hanging placard. Permits are available through The Department of Public Safety.


CUA offers the Loop Bus Service which operates from 5:00 pm - 12:30 am and a morning shuttle bus primarily for, but not limited to, staff members of the campus from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. The morning shuttle route extends to north campus, going through center campus and back to the Metro Kiosk stop.  This service is offered by Public Safety.
Shuttle Bus Schedule:


Students who have mobility conerns may request to be moved to a first floor room and/or to a room with accessible bathroom facilities (as space is available). For more information about Housing Accommodation requests click here
Please contact Disability Support Services as early as possible to determine the most appropriate course of action to be taken given the nature of the situation.